Milan, New Mexico is a small town with a population of just over 1,000 people. It is located in the northwestern corner of the state, nestled among mountains and mesas. The climate is typically dry and hot in the summer months, and mild in the winter. The area has a rich history of mining and ranching that dates back to the 1800s when Spanish settlers first arrived.
Politically, Milan is part of Cibola County which is heavily Democratic. The economy relies mainly on tourism and agriculture with some light manufacturing as well. There are several schools within the town limits including one elementary school and one middle school as well as a local community college.
For those looking to explore Milan’s history there are several landmarks worth visiting including the old mining camp at La Bajada Hill which dates back to 1878, as well as an old adobe house that was built in 1882 by one of Milan’s earliest settlers. There is also an old Catholic church that was built in 1908 which still serves local parishioners today. Finally, visitors can explore the ruins of Fort Tularosa which was used by Spanish settlers during their early years in New Mexico.
Population: 1,891. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,524 (+33.5% change)
Males: 941 (49.8%), Females: 950 (50.2%)
Median resident age: 29.8 years
Median household income: $24,635
Median house value: $57,800
Races in Milan:
- Hispanic (52.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (31.2%)
- Other race (28.9%)
- American Indian (16.5%)
- Two or more races (4.8%)
- Black (1.3%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (5.9%), Irish (5.4%), English (4.6%), United States (4.4%), Scottish (1.5%), Scotch-Irish (1.1%).
Elevation: 6511 feet
Land area: 2.9 square miles
Milan, New Mexico is a small town located in the northeast corner of the state. The population of Milan is estimated to be around 1,000 people and is primarily made up of Hispanic or Latino residents. The cost of living in Milan is relatively low compared to other parts of the state. Rent prices are generally quite affordable, with one-bedroom apartments averaging around $500 per month. Utilities such as electricity and water are also inexpensive, making it easy for residents to budget for their monthly expenses. The town has a variety of grocery stores and restaurants that offer quality food at reasonable prices. There are also several small businesses that provide goods and services to local residents at reasonable costs. Milan has many outdoor activities available such as hiking, fishing, camping, and bird watching which make it a great place to enjoy nature while living within a budget. Additionally, there are several museums and parks located nearby for those who would like to explore history or simply take in the scenery on a budget-friendly day trip.
For population 25 years and over in Milan
- High school or higher: 67.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 5.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 11.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Milan village
- Never married: 28.4%
- Now married: 50.6%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 11.9%
2.1% Foreign born (1.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -70 (-3.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Milan:
- CIBOLA GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; GRANTS, NM)
- ACOMA CANONCITO LAQUNA PHS HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; SAN FIDEL, NM)
- PHS INDIAN HOSPITAL (about 43 miles; CROWNPOINT, NM)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Milan:
- ALBUQUERQUE INTL SUNPORT (about 91 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Abbreviation: ABQ)
- FOUR CORNERS REGIONAL (about 110 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Abbreviation: FMN)
- DURANGO-LA PLATA COUNTY (about 136 miles; DURANGO, CO; Abbreviation: DRO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Milan:
- GRANTS-MILAN MUNI (about 2 miles; GRANTS, NM; Abbreviation: GNT)
- CROWNPOINT (about 43 miles; CROWNPOINT, NM; Abbreviation: 0E8)
- BLACK ROCK (about 62 miles; ZUNI PUEBLO, NM; Abbreviation: ZUN)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of New Mexico graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Milan:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 86 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 89 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 9,188)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 92 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,261)
- SAN JUAN COLLEGE (about 112 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)
- FORT LEWIS COLLEGE (about 146 miles; DURANGO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,051)
- NORTHLAND PIONEER COLLEGE (about 157 miles; HOLBROOK, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,177)
- NEW MEXICO HIGHLANDS UNIVERSITY (about 197 miles; LAS VEGAS, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,278)
Public primary/middle school in Milan:
- MILAN ELEM (Students: 438; Location: 404 SAND; Grades: PK – 06)